lördag 6 augusti 2011

The Vocabulary Problem

(reprise from livinglovingbeing.tumblr.com)

I've been thinking about the constant problem concerning languages. There are always words which exist in one language but not the other. That is a daily problem for me, being Swedish speaking English. What is more is that I am truly interesed in this problem, so I can't let go of the words I want to translate. They get stuck in my head and I start wondering ... it is because of the culture, isn't it? The words I have found have to do with our Swedish mentality, our culture and our history, mostly. Take these examples:

Fika: The word for having a coffee, tea or lemonade with something sweet to eat, such as a cake, cookies or, preferably: cinnamon buns! This can occur at any time of the day, mainly morning between breakfast and lunch, or in the afternoon. The idyllic scenario is a "fika" with the family in the shade under an apple tree in the garden in July. Long sentence there. What do you call that in English?

Mellanmål: "Middle-meal" - similar to "fika" but more the kind of food children eat when they come home from school, such as a sandwich, some cereal or just a fruit. Occurs on the same times of the day as "fika", and functions as a rescuer from severe hunger (with anger as a consequence) before dinner. What would you call this in English?

Lagom: The word for the typical Swedish mentality: not too much, not too little. It could be a synonym to "perfect", but it is not as positively charged as that. It is indifferent and indicates only that something is enough. But is there really a good word for this in English? I doubt it.

Saknad: The noun for missing someone or something. The well-known feeling which so often occurs in music and literature.

Beslutsångest: Another Swedish mentality, perhaps? The noun for not being able to decide between two or more things. Agony as a result of having too many choices.

I hope that some day, I will figure out a suitable word in English for these phenomenona. But most probably, I never will. Although, it is interesting to think about these translation issues. How to translators get passed these words? I think I'm going to check that!

With a smile,

Matilda

Inga kommentarer: